Friday, July 2, 2010

Clydesdale Horses

A few weeks ago, the Clydesdale horses came to Hy-Vee. Yeah- you read that right. These gigantic horses came to a local grocery store. I still haven't quite made that connection as to why horses would visit Hy-Vee, but who cares?!? It was a something different and was something fun to do.

Ronna and Larry-a.k.a Grandma and Granddad-read about it in the paper. Then they called us up to see if we wanted to go. We didn't have plans, so off we went. I had never seen a Clydesdale horse up close and personal. Yes- I do live under a rock. But in my defense I don't really care for horses.

When we first got there, some of the horses were still in the trailers. So we got to peek in on them and get a few pictures. As cool as the horses were, the heat was almost unbearable!! It was SO HOT!!

We were melting as we were waiting for the horses to walk by. As time went on, the whining increased. I felt sorry for the horse-keepers- is that what they are called? You know the people who take care of and get the horses ready. Or are they called cowboys? Whoever they are, I felt sorry for them. They were in pants and shirts that were not appropriate for the heat. They must have been SO HOT!!! Anyway, the horses were finally ready and we got to see them walk by. It was neat to see.

They are beautiful horses- as far as horses go. After they walked by, we all needed to go someplace cool. Luckily, Hy-Vee was there! So we all went into the nicely air-conditioned building. Ahhhh, sweet relief! I would not have done well as a pioneer!

Right inside the store there was a money machine. At first, I thought I was having a heat induced illusion! But it wasn't!

Alex
There was a MONEY machine!! I still can't figure out that one. Why did they give free money away? But they did. You can imagine the excitement of my kids! My boys are understanding what money means now.

Zach
Granted they only got to keep one bill, and they were all dollar bills, but still! What store gives away a free dollar to everyone that enters?

Josh
It was quite exciting!! Unfortunately, I think the money event made the boys forget all about the horses. Since that day, they have talked about the cool money machine but not the horses. After the boys got their free money, we headed to a table and got a cookie and an ice cold refreshing glass of water to cool down!!

All in all a pretty terrific outing! And it was all free! In fact- we got money for going!! Pretty awesome if I don't say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment