Friday, October 23, 2009

Sickies = Big Bummer for Me!

It is amazing how much of this stuff we have used this week!!!

Well, this week has been NO FUN! It is hard having sick kiddos. Alex started to get sick on Sunday and fell apart Monday evening. Sunday he was a little off and most of Monday he was ok. He had a little fever but nothing too serious. Then Monday evening he was running a higher fever and was coughing so much he was throwing up. It came on so suddenly that Matt and I weren't sure if we should rush him to an urgent care center or wait till morning to call the pediatrician. I decided to call the doctor's office to get their advice. I talked to a pediatrician on call and she heard him cough and thought it sounded like croup. Croup isn't fun, as it is at it worse at night. So we spent a lot of time in a steamy bathroom. I am hoping my pores look better with all that steam! ;)
Alex

The hardest part of the week has been that I feel like I am pulled in three different directions. Alex was really sick and needed me. But at that point Zach and Josh were fine and needed different things from me. I tried to think of things to keep them busy so I could get other things done. Last week they had gone to a pumpkin patch and brought home small pumpkins. I didn't have the right kind of paint on hand so I got out my Sharpies (I know- what was I THINKING!) and let them color their pumpkins. They had a great time. Even Alex did it.

Josh, Alex, Zach
Zach
Josh

Alex

The next morning we awoke to Alex with a 102 fever and Zach with a 104.6 fever!! That was scary!! I got medicine into both of them and rubbed Zach down with a cool washcloth and gave him a bath. Luckily, it brought the fever down. This day was a little harder cause I had one really sick kid, one sorta sick kid and a healthy kid. Josh wanted to play and do things. Grandma and Granddad had brought over a bag of Halloween stuff (like stickers, paper, spider rings, etc) for the boys to play with. One of the things in the bag was pumpkin garland. Josh had a great time cutting that apart and then discovered that they stuck to the wall. He spent quite a bit of time decorating the house. When he was done our house was VERY festive!! In fact, when Matt came home for lunch his words were "Wow! This is quite a festive place!" That is how many pumpkins were on the wall. They were EVERYWHERE! Kitchen, bathroom, TV room, living room, dining room- everywhere! I was a least smart enough to not let him decorate upstairs or in the basement!

Its now the end of the week. Today Josh is running the 104 temp. It was really only a matter of time before he got it.
Josh

I took Alex to the doctor today- as he is still running the 102 temp and complained this morning that it hurt to breathe. Sigh. Shouldn't he have been the first one to get better? The diagnosis- the boys all have the flu. (We were worried that Alex may have pneumonia- but he doesn't.) They weren't tested for H1N1- as there isn't a point to it. They don't do anything differently with H1N1 than they would regular flu. Zach seems to be on the upswing. He hasn't had a fever for 24 hours! YEA!! So far Matt and I are still ok. Knock on wood!!! Tomorrow I have class all day and I am just praying that if I have to get sick too- that I don't get sick until after class- as I have a midterm tomorrow. Thank God its open notes because I haven't studied or researched ANYTHING this week. I have been busy taking care of sick boys.

There have been a few good moments. I have really enjoyed snuggling on the couch with all three boys and watching a movie. Its been nice having that down time. Or at least it was til our TV started to go out!! This just isn't our week at all!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, sick kids everywhere! Annalie was sick last week, and me and my mom too. I hope everyone's on the mend soon and that you and Matt stay healthy. Good luck on your midterm!

    ReplyDelete